The Junior Volunteer program is back with a twist!
For those that may know our Junior Volunteer (JV) program from the past, you should note that we have decided to shake things up a bit in an effort to provide opportunities for more students and to build a more intensive experience!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Beginning in January 2022, JVs will begin with a Winter session (followed by Spring and Fall sessions, which will be announced and published at a later time).
- JVs will meet one day a week, every other week, for 4 total volunteer dates.
- The age range for JVs has been expanded to include students up to age 17. Two groups will run at the same time on alternating weeks. *Age ranges will now be combined to ensure that as many interested volunteers are able to participate as possible.
- A mandatory training event will be required prior to each session to ensure that JVs are able to complete the basic tasks necessary for participation. If you are unable to attend the training, you will not be able to participate in the volunteer session.
- Participation in this 4-week immersive experience is $25, which helps us to offset training, staff time, and supplies required to run this program.
- Required paperwork for participation:
- Per NH state law, students ages 13-15 must have completed working papers to participate (this form can be found here)
- Students ages 16-17 must have parental permission slips to participate (this form can be found here)
- All students must complete a Student Volunteer Agreement (this form can be found here)
- For more information regarding the necessary paperwork, please see the FAQ section below.
- Registration for the Winter session will close on Dec. 28.
- All required paperwork must be completed and submitted to [email protected] by Dec. 30
HOW TO REGISTER:
JVs have the option to register for one of the following days and times:
- Sundays 2:30-4:00 pm
- Mondays 3:00-4:30 pm
- Thursdays 3:00-4:30 pm
- Fridays 2:30-4:00 pm (Our Adoption Center team needs extra help this day, meaning these JVs may end up with some different responsibilities or perks!)
ONLY FOUR volunteer spots will be available for each day. When registering, please keep in mind that you will be expected to attend the same day of the week for all 4 meetings!
WHEN WILL THESE SESSIONS HAPPEN?
Winter Session (January 9-March 12) – MANDATORY TRAINING Saturday January 8, 2022 – 12:00-1:30 pm
JVs will not meet during school vacation weeks (the week of 2/27-3/5).
In the event of a snowstorm or cancelled session, JVs will be notified 24 hours in advance, and we will do our best to extend the program out a week to accommodate.
- Group A will meet the weeks of 1/9, 1/23, 2/6, and 2/20 (potential snow date week of 3/13)
- Group B will meet the weeks of 1/16, 1/30, 2/13, and 3/6 (potential snow date week of 3/20)
The actual dates of volunteering are determined by the day of the week you register for (see exact dates on the event ticket).
Please ensure that you can attend all the scheduled dates. We are counting on the help of each of our Junior Volunteers for important animal care responsibilities, and we want to make sure our animals get all the love and attention they need! In the event of sickness or an emergency, please notify us of your need to be absent as soon as possible.
While students from any town are welcome to attend, the SAU16 transportation department has kindly offered to establish a bus stop at the top of our hill for students from Cooperative Middle School, Exeter High School, and Seacoast School of Technology. Middle school students will arrive at the NHSPCA around 2:30 pm and High school students will arrive at around 3:00 pm. If you are planning to take the bus, please register for a day where you will arrive on time. Please remember that all students must be picked up promptly at the end of their volunteer session! Additional information about bussing options will be shared when you register.
Booking and Refund Policy
This program is extremely popular, so registration is first come first serve and no refunds will be available. Once you have submitted the registration form, a member of our staff will reach out to confirm your registration and provide additional information. If your child did not get registered in time but is still interested, please reach out to [email protected] so they can be added to a waiting list for a future session.
Waiver: I recognize that in conjunction with my child’s attendance at the New Hampshire Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NHSPCA), my child will be in contact with and may be allowed to hold and pet animals. I understand that despite all precautions made, there is a chance that my child may contract a disease or illness by handling the animals. I further understand that there is a chance that my child may sustain a scratch or bite while handling animals. I understand that the above is illustrative of the types of risks involved in participating in programs at the NHSPCA, but is in no way a complete list of possible risks. By checking the YES box when registering, I do hereby absolutely and unconditionally release and discharge the NHSPCA, including its employees, successors, assigns, directors, officers, and agents from and against any and all claims, obligations and liabilities of any nature relating to or arising out of my child’s participation with the NHSPCA camp program. I also understand that participants will be required to wear masks while indoors in accordance with Covid-19 safety requirements. I certify that I am the registered child’s legal parent or legal guardian.
Photo Release: I authorize the NHSPCA to use photos of my child engaging in program activities for media purposes.