Reports to: Adoption Center Manager
Hours: Full time, hourly
To provide sheltered animals with the best possible care and maintain the center in a clean and safe manner in accordance with the policies and procedures established by the NHSPCA. To ensure that the public is treated cordially and provide information concerning animals in the center, behavior, medical, training, and proper animal care. This position is primarily customer service with flexibility to have full days of direct animal care as needed.
- Feed and care for animals, keep animals’ quarters clean, inoculate and medicate animals as needed.
- Receive animals from the public, check for illness, infestations and injuries. Perform regular laboratory tests to determine health and adoptability of animals.
- Manage reception area transactions, including assisting the public with surrender, redemption and adoption of animals. Provide excellent customer service.
- Handle daily cash transactions in a trustworthy and accurate manner.
- Furnish information to the public concerning the programs and services of the agency, including basic animal care and problem-solving advice, and make referrals as
- Support euthanasia decisions made by the agency and use respectful communication in regard to the decision.
- Maintain center records, incoming, adoptions, dispositions and waivers. Maintain lost and found records as received and actively search for matches.
- Maintain all areas of the Adoption Center to the highest NHSPCA standards.
- Maintain a clean and professional personal appearance.
- Attend and actively participate in scheduled staff meetings.
- Initiate suggestions for improvement of the center and its functions.
- Maintain a high level of respectful communication with supervisor, other animal care staff, and all other personnel and volunteers.
- Perform other duties as required to insure a positive public image and to improve the functioning of the organization. These include events, parties and public awareness functions.
- Assist in training new personnel and volunteers.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Associates Degree in an animal related science preferred.
- Experience in an animal related field or background in customer service.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability and skill to deal humanely with animals in our care.
- Ability to deal diplomatically with the public and a stressful workload.
- A strong commitment to animal welfare.
- Possess a high tolerance for ambiguity.
- A valid drivers license
To apply: Please send resume and salary requirements to [email protected] with Adoption Counselor in the subject line.
The New Hampshire SPCA offers a generous benefit package including:
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
The NHSPCA in looking for an experienced dog trainer to join our dog training instructor team. This is a contract position with openings for Friday and Sunday classes with the possibility of other days. Ability to teach classes ranging from puppy to reactive dog classes is desired. Trainers must have a CPDT or KPA certification and must carry their own liability insurance. All our classes are taught using positive reinforcement methods. The NHSPCA promotes the classes and manages the registration. Please forward resume to [email protected] for consideration.
Thank you for your interest, please sign up for our E-News to stay in touch and to be notified of future job opportunities!