JOB DESCRIPTION: Certified Veterinary Technician
REPORTS TO: Veterinarian, Veterinary Center
HOURS: Full-time, Hourly
DATE: July 5, 2023
SUMMARY Responsible for assisting staff Doctors as well as the coordination of Clinic care in accordance with NHSPCA’s policies, procedures or laws that apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Administer daily treatments and feeding as needed in Clinic under Veterinarian’s supervision. Perform all necessary diagnostic testing (including, but not limited to CBC, blood chemistry, X-Rays, urine testing, leukemia, FIV/FeLV, parvovirus, heartworm, fecal, intravenous catheters initiated, intravenous fluid administration, intubation) and monitor animal treatment progress.
- Prepare animals for surgery.
- Assist Doctors in anesthesia induction, monitoring animals’ vital signs during surgery, and iso-fluorene and oxygen level in anesthesia machine daily.
- Check recovery state after surgery.
- Perform dental cleanings and assist the Doctor’s with dental procedures.
- Fill prescriptions and prepare medications, medication monitoring charts, dosage changes. Coordinate and communicate medication administration requirements with the other animal care staff.
- In emergency, administer life-saving medication under Doctor’s supervision.
- Perform or assist in the euthanasia of sick animals in the Clinic.
- Promptly report any irregularities of controlled drug records to the Doctor in charge of the Clinic.
- Log controlled drugs.
- Maintain inventory of pharmaceuticals, equipment, and supplies and collaborate with other Clinic and Adoption Center staff on medication logs and overall inventory management.
- Assure monitoring and support equipment such as anesthetic machines, cardiac monitors, scopes and breathing apparatus are in good working condition.
- Accurately calculate and record all medications and injections administered.
- Clean and maintain facility daily. Including: Clean and sterilize instruments and other material daily; Refill bottles with chemical solution daily; Clean exam, surgery rooms and other spaces in the Clinic as needed.
- Participate in daily care of the animals as well as medical rounds as oversight to in-house population.
- Consistently demonstrate appropriate use of PPE when in quarantine / isolation spaces and provide information to other staff at the agency on best practices using PPE.
- Participate in events that further the agency’s mission, which may include being in pictures and videos.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have excellent communication skills including the ability to effectively present information to others through verbal or written reports, business correspondence and procedures.
- Must demonstrate communication skills with clients for community clinics and be willing to work with members of the public that are pet owners.
- This position requires the ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and other business correspondence.
- Must have the ability to remain calm in the face of various types of pressure, not allowing emotions to overwhelm attitude or performance.
- Must demonstrate consistent follow through and completion of tasks given through various methods of communication.
- Must have ability to work in a high stress environment that changes rapidly.
- Be willing to be delegated to and work independently.
- Be willing to contribute to decision making and pathway management.
- Be comfortable with Doctor and management decisions regarding euthanasia.
- Must be dependable with attendance and timeliness.
- The ability to foster a positive work environment and have fun.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Associates degree in Veterinary Technology
- Current certification in New Hampshire
- Equivalent work experience as a Veterinary Technician will be considered
- Shelter Buddy or other shelter / practice management software
- Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook
MATERIALS and EQUIPMENT USED
- Laboratory machinery such as CBC and chemistry machines
- X-Ray digital machine
- Polishing and scaling dental machines
- Anesthesia machine
- Vital signs monitor
- IV Pumps
- Surgical instrument sanitizer
- Microchip scanner
- Thermal pad
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is consistently required to stand and move. In addition, the employee is constantly required to talk, hear and use hands for grasping, reaching and other operative tasks. The employee is required to sit occasionally. The employee will also be required to bend neck and twist body. The employee will be required to consistently lift an animate or stationary object of up to 50 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to an indoor office environment climate condition. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is consistently exposed to animal odors and animal fur.
- Employee is exposed to Biohazardous materials.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud/noisy.
The NHSPCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Thank you for your interest, please sign up for our E-News to stay in touch and to be notified of future job opportunities!
Thank you for keeping in touch! We'll periodically send you emails regarding the latest shelter news, events, programs, pictures/videos of cute animals and other exciting things happening at the New Hampshire SPCA. Thank you for your support.
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: . You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact