Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the Governor’s recent stay at home order, the New Hampshire SPCA is closed to the public until further notice. For this reason, we have had to suspend all programs, including surrenders in our typical fashion. We are however, offering a virtual surrender option for select animals.
A virtual surrender option will allow some animals to be admitted into our care during this time for re-homing. Virtual surrenders are surrenders that can be completed via email and phone. Please note that we are currently functioning on limited staffing and are receiving multiple inquiries daily. Our response time may be lagged due to this. Below is information on our Virtual Surrender Program.
Personality profiles and transfer of ownership form can be done via email.
- A scheduled appointment will be needed for drop off.
- This is a no-contact surrender which means the scheduled appointment for drop off will be you leaving the animal in our vestibule area for the staff to receive after you have left.
- If you would like to help us out with a surrender donation, this can be done over the phone with a credit card.
- Some animals may not be candidates for surrender through this program.
If you are interested in proceeding with this surrender model, please email us at [email protected] with the following information:
- The town you currently reside in
- The reason you need to surrender your pet
- Brief description of your pet (breed, age, temperament)
- Are there any medical issues we should be aware of?
- Does this animal have a bite history or any incidents of aggression?
- Feel free to provide a picture or video clip if you have one
At the NHSPCA, we understand that pet owners sometimes find themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to find a new home for their pet. If you are considering rehoming or surrendering your pet, we are here to help. Please contact us at (603) 772-2921 x 110.
If your animal was adopted from the NHSPCA, and you are no longer willing or able to care for the animal in the manner agreed to in our adoption contract, please contact us at (603) 772-2921 x 110 to return animal to the NHSPCA.
Making An Appointment
If you have exhausted all your options or don’t feel comfortable trying to place your pet yourself and need to surrender your pet to the Adoption Center, we first need you to call and make an appointment. At any given time, we can have over 200 pets in our care and making an appointment allows us to prepare for your pet’s arrival which will ensure they have the best experience and shortest stay possible. We do our best to accommodate surrenders in a timely manner. Please call us at (603) 772-2921 x 110 to speak to an adoption counselor about surrendering your pet.
Preparing Your Pet For Surrender
To prepare your pet for surrender, it is best to bring all their vaccinations current. This will help ensure they remain healthy during their stay here and allow us to place them for adoption in the shortest possible time so that they can move on to their new home as quickly as possible.
Please bring their veterinary records with you. This way they will have a history of vet care that can stay with them and potential new adopters feel more comfortable adopting a pet with a history of health care.
You will also be asked to provide a picture ID.